Monday, April 23, 2007

Wente Crit with Proman



I'm here thinking about this weekend's racing. Feeling pretty fresh after only racing one day and was happy to be a "Bike bitch" at the Wente crit for my girl and then ended up being promoted to DS Proman woman's team. Tracey was really getting excited weeks before this race, I got daily weather reports, leg reports, team reports etc as the days got closer she got more anxious. Since I'm not much a fan of the fast twitching races that go round and round industrial parks and this one seems to have a good history for bumper bikes I wanted nothing to do with racing.
Then Tracey asked me to do a little DS for the Proman team...man I thought I must have them fooled. You would have to scroll down pretty far to ever find my name in the results at the Wente Crit, but at least I had something to do and was a little nervous and excited all at the same time.

First off, these girls are serious and so willing to help each other I was totally impressed. They all have different strengths and are a very well balanced team. Nicola has done a great job with her recruiting and Tracey always has nice things to say every time she is able to race with her Proman chicks.

Then out came the radios...the only fast twitch muscle I have in my body is my mouth and I was going to try to keep the f-bombs and filter on so I didn't embarrass my girl. The race started out pretty aggressive with Rachel on the front, then Kristina went up the road. I noticed that she was on the hoods into the headwind and I told her to get down on the drops. She did it immediately...holy crap these radios work...it was very very cool. Then a break of 4 had Emily and Kristin trading pulls smooth as glass until one lap to go with a 20 sec buffer. I saw that Emily was on the back just after the start finish and told her to attack up the left and she took off with one other rider jumping on...holy crap..if this didn't work out I was going to feel like a jack ass and would probably never be invited back...then Kristin who is ultra savvy in a break attacked the other girl and was trying to bridge to Emily..E was able to sit on patiently and jumped into the headwind with 150 meters with perfect timing to the line for 1st place! Kristen came in 3rd, then Lori, Kristina, Rachel gave it 110% with keeping the pace up on the last lap where Nicola and Tracey took the next two spots (5th & 6th)! All the girls thanked me at the end and I thought I'd like to help DS in the future, but then I also thought it would be good to keep a perfect record.

5 comments:

Team TWENTY12 said...

we would love you back, you were just brilliant, not too much chatter, clear and specific. thanks again and we look forward to the next time!

veloandvino said...

ANY TIME!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the invite, flattery will get you very far, first E thinks I'm a sprinter, then this, I'm dizzy.

Anonymous said...

Filter!!

Love that

ms

Alpinegirl said...

Hutch,
You were awsome! It was so much fun having you on the radio calling the shots. I want you as DS when the time comes for me to take a win! Thanks again, -Rachel

veloandvino said...

R,
still looking for the mt snow pics.

just have Nic say the word and I'm there.