Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Lollipop's suck!-I'm still bitter

http://www.7springs.com/bike/images/Lollipop_Course.pdf

I just had a chance to check in on the Masters Nationals this year. Yawn,,Boring!!!!!! oh yhea, now they increased the field size to 175 riders too...U$A Cycling cha ching!

The TT is a saw tooth with jagged edges that have you crossing your chain back and forth thru the gears. At least this year I won't have to fear for my life going over bridges and around corners at 45mph in the pouring rain. Its much straighter, but those PA kickers are tough to get steady wattage which is what I prefer.

Then last years crit course which was another deathmarch...why in the world would you hold a crit around cones and temporary fencing on the infield of a race track for cars??? (the Pit) This is where they spill gas, blow engines, etc...makes for a pretty slick surface. Then pour two inches of water on the course and 80+ Master riders= some slipage and spills for sure. I made it thru alive w/o hitting the deck, but did a two wheel drift on a few turns. The skid marks in the shorts were washed away thanks to mother nature dumping rain the entire race.

My heart broke when I saw how well Tracey was riding all day covering moves, being patient, and getting ready for the final turn. She was sitting in 5th wheel with three turns to go and the girl in 4th slid out--- it was like watching one of those Blue Angels videos when they all followed the rider in front--- 15 of the women went down with two corners to go. All that effort, work, $$ and hope...on the ground. Its a tough sport and at times like it totally sucked. They ran out of medical supplies halfway thru the day. Nice job!

This year it will be in a industrial park...double yawn..


Now the RR

Looks like a brainless ride again. They do have one climb to the finish, my guess is like last year this is where the selection will happen-- its about 600-700 ft of climbing to the line. Othewise it will be 4 loops on a flat LOLLIPOP. Last years course was pretty tough and I thought it was one of the best for me. I came into the Nationals with some fitness that I tried to put together to quick and fell short in the finishing 3k where I got gapped by Ramon Benetiz. I'm still bitter, not about him beating me fair and square...but by the USA Cycling officials letting a rider (nameless and got DQ'd) do the race w/o being registered. He was registered for the TT but didn't get into the RR and jumped in anyway, I was riding on the front towing Ramone for 5k up the final climb to the nameless rider who had a 30 sec gap. Benetez jumped me with a k to go, I was blown and didn't really care about if I got 2'nd or 3rd..there is no jersey for that..I finished 3rd, but got 2nd due to the DQ. Is that guy who jumped in and went for the win stupid or what???

Bummer was Ramon who finished 2nd is now the National champ and told me he didn't feel right wearing the jersey...Nice job U$A cycling.

Not to mention no support for the Sr Elite RR 113 miles 13,500 ft of climbing... feed zone No water, No neutral bottles, and No water for anyone who could have helped. I was a little fried from finishing the SR Elite with a dismal 22 or so, but at least I finished. This year I won't be sitting in a crappy hotel eating at the same restaurant for like 10 days, it will just be three.

mjh

5 comments:

Velo Bella said...

and try to get a bottle of wine or a six pack of beer there

veloandvino said...

thats never a problem for me as these are the only days of the year I go on the wagon..well sort of.

olaf-I spoke to KW-your probably aware he's 40-45 this year. you need some stars and bars!

you have enough bears. just my opinion which is usually worth about $.0001

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

there's plenty more than KW that will spank my butt out there.

just going for the crit this year. can't take all that time off again.

your TT is too good this year not to try it out there. even with the punchy profile.

ah ... silly bike racers are we.


and i don't see anyone beating Tracy in that crit.

veloandvino said...

I wasn't really thinking about going until the girl wanted to give it a go, whats a bike racer to do?? A stage race the week before in Beantown then do all three.

thinking about the RR again..175 masters going downhill for 5 miles then flat course and up to the finish...stupid.

TT's my best shot, thx.

Otter for you or are you boycotting like 85% of everyone?

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

i'm drinkin' margaritas.


and gettin' jiggy with the girl.