Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sea Utterly ridiculous-or is it?

Extra-Extra.
Ladies and gentleman, its time for the greatest show on earth! The three ring circus comes to the Laguna Seca raceway once again. The Sea Otter extravaganza.
I know alot of the hairless (legs that is) bike racers are boycotting this race for your own reasons..$$, promoter, days off, parking, etc- but I'm getting all worked up to race. Legs are shaved clean, shiney new Fulcrum 1 wheels, and I'm actually pre registered. The turn-out for the Masters 30+race is as dismal as the current weather, but I'm going!
Why??
I"ve always liked going to the Big Show seeing the other two wheeled lovin types playing on the infield riding wheelies, stump jumping, the vendors, faces that I haven't seen in years, never knowing quite what to expect. In the past when I lived a few zip codes north we would always make a team weekend of the race and have dinner at Cafe Napoli in Carmel (love that place). It was a great weekend getaway. Now that I live 45 minutes away (triple digit driving) I'll avoid the two night minimums that always pissed me off and stay here in San Gatos. There will be a bit of team bonding however as a trusty 30+ Reno teamate will be flying in here for the weekend and I'll try to gather a couple more Spine's along the way for a dinner or two while Borat and Jasckass 2 have been added to my Netflix que. Somebody lock the wine cellar...

I've ridden those roads dozens of times, won a few Otters & Bears along the way and I really like whatever tough course they throw at the racers. This year I'll be doing my own Stage race and wonder if I'll be walking on Sunday after two RR's (Master 30+ & Pro 12RR) and then my first attempt at Santa Cruz in the master & $12k dreamerzzzz.

Its all in good fun and I'll be stopping by the Velo Bella bar where I hear the margaritias make you dance funny.

7 comments:

diskzero said...

I guess I haven't been racing around here long enough to get jaded and/or disgusted in the races. The changed road race course will probably be better for me too. (Still hard after a circuit race the day before.)

Best of luck in 2(!) races. Hope the weather clears and I am looking forward to the booth as well.

veloandvino said...

good luck, i'm passing on the circuit race and resting for the day.

I guess I'll have to check out the road course.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

you know the margaritas are my department....

i'll be saving a special one for ya.

-

now where did i put that white lightning??

Anonymous said...

I have Grappa and lots of it.....

But its gonna cost somebody :)

ms

veloandvino said...

grappa...ouch! had my share, and then some.

funny when we are in spain with customers and dinner gets on the late side, we always order the spanish version for everyone...in like 10 minutes..lights out.
i should of had some last night.

Anonymous said...

Lora's Grandfather made LOTS when he was alive.

I have ummmm GALLONS of it in the cabinet.

MS

jAndy donka-donk said...

you will love the fulcrums......

they are by far my best new toy this season, even better than the soloist carbon.....