Saturday, December 1, 2007

One crazy day...



So I was getting ready and the phone rang. Phipps my teamate was running a bit late for the ride. I decided to drive to the ride with the bike. Thank god! I was riding and saw Tracey and a Mtn biker riding thru what we call "Death Valley" on Blossom Hill rd. We know its a little narrow there and just try to get thru it as quickly as possible in order to avoid cars.

I see Tracey and can tell something is wrong, she was waving like she was on the Titanic ...or like there was a crash or something. I rolled down the window and she said two guys almost pushed them off the road and over the gaurdrail. The passanger rolled down the window (38 degrees) and yelled and hung out the window to his waist and made a effort to push her and Mr Mtn biker off the road.
She told me what type of car (Toyota) and said it was only 6 cars or so ahead of us....well, I didn't think much, just went off in hot pursuit. Two of them and one of me.. I get out the iphone. Luckly they pulled up to a stop sign and I got out and went click! Took the picture of the liscense (wish I took one of the driver) he rolled down the window and I told him he was (f...ked).
Then he takes off, Tracey rolls up and no sooner do I see a Los Gatos police officer coming our way getting ready for some uneventful traffic detail at the xmas Los Gatos parade, Tracey waves him down.
He stopped and Tracey started giving the cop some info, I gave him the plate above of the what I'm assuming was driver of the car and her friend on the Mtn bike shows up...he is a San Jose, police Sargent and they start talking cop talk.

We head out for our ride, made a mistake and went up HWY 9, when we weren't playing dodge ball with cars with xmas trees, we were getting chilled to the bone in the part hail part rain that we never saw coming.

Sorry that we didn't stick to the route that was posted. Next time route requests will have to be made by thursday, once its posted on Friday, it will be in ink.
Thanks everyone for being flexiable and coming, it was just one wierd day. Glad its 1/2 over!

6 comments:

Ron Castia said...

Wow, good thing you drove and have a pretty quick car.
Stupid mistake of the driver effing with a guy on a bike that happens to be pretty high in rank on a PD squad.
Homeboy really is effed. May as well just have shot a gun at a cop, the result will be the same.

One of our older riders was side swiped by a truck on Morgan Territory Road today. He is OK, just got pushed a little by the mirror. The girl in the truck pulled into a driveway 500 feet from the incident at a horse ranch. He confronted her and she said "I can't stop now, I have to get to work (covering the horses).
"Lady, this is a hit and run, you could go to jail."
"I am late for work."

Glad people have their priorities straight, I sure wouldn't want to see people eff up their whole life because of one moment of stupidity.

tom said...

Holy Shit! There is a cop who rides? The endtimes are near.

phipps said...

When I pulled up your blog and saw that pic again I laughed. Hope he got his due.

I was bummed about the ride being cut short yesterday, but I sure was glad we decided to turn back when we did since cold + rain = miserable. I think that was the only place in the bay area where it rained at all yesterday.

Holly R said...

Karma's a b*tch, isn't it? I hope those 2 moron's ARE f*cked, because it would serve them right.

Glad Tracey's ok though. WTF is wrong with people? Seriously!

Secundus said...

geez. glad everybody's okay, if a bit shaken.

seriously, why _do_ people do this sort of thing? we've all had something gratuitous like this happen -- a boat trailer swung out at us, firecrackers bouncing off helmets, yelled at, showed into ditches -- what do the offending parties get out of it?

this is why i try to get cyclists to stop at stop signs and not block cars. i have no empirical evidence, but i can't help but think that at least some of this is because the asshole drivers were once pissed off, rightly or wrongly, at a cyclist.

still, this is uncalled for. hope the retribution is swift and as harsh as a five-year-old chamois found under the bed.

good job, mjh; glad you're okay, tracy (and mr. mountain bike/cop).

veloandvino said...

There are way to many of these close calls that at the moment for us are scary, for the driver...funny or ego saying....I'll teach them.

one more reason to have a phone when riding.

Cops went to their house, had a talk, its on record.