Sunday, July 8, 2007

Stars and bars #2-one more to go.

You'll never guess who won the Masters 40-44 National crit today.

I was told by everyone not to start the crit today and save it for the RR Tuesday. The RR is a killer course. Mattis described it as "a course for Hunt when he is in top form". That means its hell o hard.

Roemer was killing it today in the crit, either on or off the front, he was marked. I tried a few times to go away, no luck so I was just sitting in for the race. With 5 to go I said what the hell, one more try. Roemer and two others were 5 seconds off the front, I bridged solo and went thru them, the field for some crazy reason sat up. This gave me a 15 sec gap in one lap.

Then Mark Trujillo father of---Joe Trujillo (Team Spine Junior) from Clover bridged across, and we didn't screw around. Head down, encouraging words, helping each other for 5 laps. I thought I was going to puke. The field was getting closer, no time for games, Mark took the last corner at full speed, I was glued to his wheel looking down at his ripped legs. Mark is a class act and I was very happy we rode the break out.

I came around him with 50 meters to go with a angry field only 2 seconds behind- I had a 200 to 1 odds to win this race today.

I'd bet on me for the RR. Until then I'll be resting for the road race.

21 comments:

nosajpalnud said...

Saw the results today - out fricking standing and Congrats! Cool to also see a local in 2nd - that guy rides hard.

Team TWENTY12 said...

YOU ARE MY HERO - three month long party!!! cant wait to see you to give you a big hug!! fantastic michael! Tracey too bad about the end but bronze isn't too shabby either! Well done Uber couple!

veloandvino said...

thanks, it was a shocker. Tracey has worlds..on the brain:)

Ron Castia said...

That SOOOOO Rocks!

Congratulation, you earned that bit big time!

Anonymous said...

2 jerseys... who needs 2? :)

Congratulations on your fantastic feat.

Secundus said...

Yee-hah! Congrats and well deserved -- not just for today's work but for all the prep and your everlasting support of the sport and the people who constitute it. Thrilled to get the call and on to Austria!

Courtenay said...

nice! you can totally hat-trick it.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

oh, HELL YEAH!!!

cxwrench said...

HAT TRICK...great job and best of luck on tuesday! congratulate tracey as well, now where do i go put some money on that road race?

Lothar Glerbny said...

Nicely done. Congrats!

Susan Hedstrom said...

you are an animal! I am so excited for you and look forward to more outstanding results.

Il Bruce said...

Great job.

veloandvino said...

Hat trick! Stay tuned.

cwrench-no bets..beers please!

pedro said...

dude, if i were half as fast as you, i'd be so f-ing fast.

way to impress. workers with talent = champions. congrats

Anonymous said...

WHEN MICHAEL WAS A YOUNGSTER GROWING UP,CONGRESSMAN WRIGHT PATMAN FROM TEXAS TOLD US NEVER TO HOLD THAT COLT BACK,GIVE HIM ALL THE FREEDOM HE NEEDS.WE DID. TODAY YOU SEE THE WISDOM OF THOSE REMARKS. NICE GOING MICHAEL..WOW..M&D.

banks said...

Awesome Hutch. Truly awesome. I'm happy for you. Congratulations. Go get the RR jersey too.

veloandvino said...

Banks-I'm going to worlds for the tt and rr. the tt in stars and bars.

banks said...

Rock on! At the start of this season I was dreaming about the prestige of having a national champion in our NCNCA master's field. Now you've gone and done it, twice no less, with what sounds like a good look at a third. Fantastic!

I'm not much for making a big deal of things, but if you pull off a world's title, the next time I see you at a race I'm gonna try to put you on my shoulders and carry you through the crowd while I yell at the top of my lungs, "All Hail Hutchinson, King of Geezers!!!"

Chico Cyclist said...

Dude, you rock!!!! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Hutch, great ride and it's even better that you did it with a Reno local and a great guy in Mark. I still owe you a deraileur (sp?) cable. jason

Unknown said...

i knew it!!! i've always said you were a sprinter...scott is stoked for you - did he get a chance to call?