Monday, June 9, 2008

SaTT ley good, bad, and the ugly.

Phipps and I headed up to Truckee on Sat. He drove the Silver bullet, that thing going around corners at 70 made me nervous. It must of made someone else nervous too -- there was no chicken handle for me to hold onto...I didn't ask...

We stayed the night outside of Truckee with a Craig & Susan Z Team friends of Phipps. After a quick ride to dust off the legs from the 3 hr tour.. Susan treated us to a 4 course dinner tomato and mozz bruscetta, insalata mista with blueberries, sausage pasta and a huge berry and cake thingy that was awesome. I think they were a little concerned when I opened the third bottle of wine. Good thing I'm training. Thanks Craig and Susan! Great hosts and they have a fun pup called Wrecks.


In my opinion the conditions were perfect!

Turnout was less then perfect-I noticed it when Phipps and I were pulling into the reg. Afterwards I asked about this years reg. It was down 30%...gas?? ambition?? June burnout?? I dunno??

Gentle headwind breeze for the way out and tailwind on the way back. The cracks are bigger then ever and perfect for a
5k prostate crushing at 30mph. I must admit I was really looking forward to getting back to those cracks on the way back. That's when the entire body is pretty much screaming in pain and I don't seem to mind those cracks as much do on the first part.

Winners were
Elite
Roman's been stomping the locals with his TT's this year 49:30-crap that's fast!

U 23- holy crap!! Shawn Rosenthal is killing the TT's this year. He was a teammate a few years ago on Spine and he's having a breakout year..50: & change Great ride! Go get Nationals!!!!

Master 35-Bosch vs Innes. Bosch won 52: & change.

Master 40-you know who..pulled that one out. Only 20 seconds off my PR & watts were up 10% from last week. Got to get another 15% then I'll be riding full speed. 51:50. Foy from San Jose who has been really doing great rides this year just got back from a killer bike trip in France was 2nd and Kieran from AV was third. We should of carpooled.

Master 45-49 Bubba 53: & change!

Master 50-54 Novitsky??? I know Nolan was second.

Elite chicks
Katherine the great did a 55& change. Blazin. Loved hearing about her catching guys last week at Dunlap. Hats gotta hurt the fragile males ego.

Other bummer stuff.
Not so Specialized.

Metcalf-not so ergo stem slipped.
Roemer-figured he was gonna beat me this year, flatted for the second year in a row.
Mick had some Hellmans mayonnaise floating around in his chest and pulled the plug after 20k in the interest of health. Good call.

One last sound bite.

BAR and BAT.

I got to thinking that the BAR and BAT is more about racing 100+ races in all the categories. Why don't they make it a little easier on themselves and have a District Best all around rider and just keep track of the District TT, Crit and RR? Just a thought??

6 comments:

Allison Krasnow said...

Congrats and learning tidbits about Phipps is fun as I know his wife well.

Don't forget Minty Molly who was only :20 behind Katherine the great. Her time would have been a course record until Katherine crushed it. They both had amazing rides.

phipps said...

Congratulations Champ!

Amazingly fast times out there yesterday! Excluding me of course. After 2 weeks of flat I'm in hill withdrawal.

New NCNCA Records:
50:11 U23 - Shawn Rosenthal - ZteaM (2008) - 29.7mph
49:29 Elite - Roman Kilun - HealthNet - 30.1mph

Old NCNCA Records:
52:56.4 U23 - Ben Jacques-Maynes - SC Spokesman (2000) - 28.2mph
49:50.7 Elite - Eric Wohlberg - Saturn (2003) - 29.9mph

runjoelrun said...

What can I say, I just love to race! Hernando called me out at the Track last Friday night for being a crit whore.

Congratulations Mike. See you Saturday. Still don't know which category.

Unknown said...

BTW, the recommended torque spec of a Look Ergo stem is 15-20 N-m. I looked that up on Sunday night. About 24 hours too late...

Good job Mike. It was a day to remember (condition wise).

veloandvino said...

KEV- COME DOWN TO THE TRACK ...

LEAVE THE ERGO AT HOME.

veloandvino said...

KEV- COME DOWN TO THE TRACK ...

LEAVE THE ERGO AT HOME.