Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Eur-itis & Jamonariha

Toto its good to be home!!!!

After a long uneventful flight back from Madrid and waking up at 3am I'm happy to be back! Missed a few races, but its probably a good thing to take a break.

Man I didn't miss the news back here!!! Gas prices are nothing to be compared to Europe! Also I'm happy that when I pay for a cup of coffee or go to an ATM I don't have to do the mental conversion of ...OK thats really 1.6 x 1.00. I never thought that the 50km per hr = 30mph would come in handy. $50.00= 30 euro.

Eur-itis=shrinkage of dollar that makes you stress twice when spending. Once when you pay for the item and again one month later when you get the credit card bill.

The dollar have some serious shrinkage in europe!!! I was wandering around yesterday on the bike in a bit of a fog. Thinking about how much I dislike the current administration. I'm not much about political blabbing , but man...things are pretty screwed up.

I figure that if all the people who voted for Bush the first time ...well OK, shame on you. The second time... wtf???

I think if you voted for that moron the second time, you sit this one out! Fuel, bank intrest rates, war, pulling funding from National parks, housing all pretty much suck . Thank you Mr Bush for your Bush speak ---your a babbling idiot!

Back to food and whine..and ridin.
Jamonariha=eating a diet of bread & jamon for 25 days, mixed in with some bread and unripe tomato's too make for another size in the skinsuit:)

It was great to ride the Transition yesterday for a few hrs after a few to many rides on the Break-Away. With a few TT zzz coming up - I've never been this far behind or unfocused, no intervals, no group rides to try to ride off my wheel, not really much of anything for the past few weeks except eating, drinking, and sleeping.

After catching up on things a bit here and dealing with a crashed Apple hard drive (please let the computer gods be kind with whatever I have in that big back-up thing I plugged in a few months ago) I needed to get some fresh air and blow off some steam...

I did get a bit of a wake up call yesterday that almost knocked me off the bike. I was riding along Uvas when all of a sudden out of nowhere I heard the noise of a helocopter coming over the hill, flying really, really low with a big bucket. By the time I figured out what was going on I took this quick pic.

It looks like there was a Triathalon out on Uvas recently both good and bad. Good news there was enough water in the res, bad news all the frickin Gu wrappers and crap they left behind. Makes me kind of think about that urban legend of a scuba diver getting found in the forest..after being dropped on the fire.
As responsible cyclists, please don't litter and leave behind a wake of gu wrappers. I'm sure its another reason people in cars get pissed off at cyclists.

I really was sorry to hear about the fires and everyone effected. Scary stuff!!

4 comments:

Ron Castia said...

Hey Mike,
Welcome back.

Two bits oh bidness:
1. I am hoping you brought some vino back cuz my stash is running low.

2. Got a Mt. Diablo ride going on Wednesdays leaving my work at 3:30 from Pleasanton. 50 miles round trip with a mountain in the middle.
Contact me if interested.

While on the riding topic, check out the Tuesday night Tri-Valley Twilight series starting to get underway.
More info here:
http://groups.google.com/group/TwilightCrit

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Mike, my wino friend (now that didn't quite sound the way I intended). Do you have any contacts in the beer biz? I'm looking for some sponsorship/help for Friday night. Email me at Lorri@velogirls.com?

veloandvino said...

Ron, couple of weeks & the mother load will be arriving. I'll put you down for some.

will do on the mt ham as I missed it this year and need to do it at least once.

Ron Castia said...

Rockin!