Thursday, January 3, 2008

Stay inside please!


OK, not to be grim, but we did have a memorial ride for my friend Dan Plummer this weekend who was killed when struck by a falling eucaliptis tree two years ago. He was a friend, teamate, and great man. He was riding with another teamate/friend that narrowly escaped the same tree when they were descending on 1/1/06 in Los Altos.
I remember the day pretty well, Tracey and I were riding in the storm, I just had my rod removed from my tibia a few weeks earlier and we were climbing by fallen trees, downed powerlines, road closures, etc. We were careless and we used poor judgement that day.

WE were OK, Dan is dead. It was tragic!

Please stay off your stoopid bike until this storm passes. Ride the trainer, go to the gym, light a fire, make love, eat dinner, watch a movie, take a nap, clean your garage, wash your bicycle, do your laundry, make pancakes, read another blog, most importanly be safe.

10 comments:

Brian Peterson said...

What about working? That's a valid thing to stay inside and do today.

Don't any of you "older" pro bike riders have real jobs too? All day Wednesday rides, weekday mid-day pancake making...

Ah, I'm just jealous.

Back to work for me.

veloandvino said...

you did find a way to blog:0

norcalcyclingnews.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
norcalcyclingnews.com said...

i was just remembering Dan this morning.

veloandvino said...

ov-yhea, he still is on our minds alot too.

be safe.

Manley Man said...

Thanks for the caution. BTW, I had a great time with Dario and the fitting. Check out my blog for my fit story.

Ron Castia said...

It's a great day/evening for a virtual ride up Alp d'Huez in the bike garage.
But come Sunday, it's all about the
1 x 1 and I ain't talkin bout no track nonsense. Mud baby...bring it!

TreBone said...

Good advice.

Sasserman said...

Its hard to belive from outside the box that its been 3 years already.

DJP wasn't what I'd call a friend but the man never was anything but nice to me. Its a shame we didn't get more time to spend with him.

Be well.

Sasser

veloandvino said...

Sasser, good to see you blogging.