Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2007 bye bye!



Ok for us it was a tough one too. The year of the house we'll call it. Trying to be a full-time wine guy, full time master racer doing a few Pro 12 stage races, and doing a full re-model to the house makes for a busy year. One trip to Austria, Mexico, Spain, Boston, Somerset, Rhode Island, not to mention the 12 other trips to LA, WA, CO, AZ etc. Phew.

Favorite race was a pretty local crit in RI when I ran into some college cycling friends and my niece Vanessa was going balistic on the sidelines cheering. Then we went to the merry go round and celebrated with some ice cream.

The building right behind my head is owned by a guy named Jim McNamara and used to win running races all over the East back in his day. He was very generous - back when I didn't have enough money to make it home from a race and had to count on winning a prime or something to put gas in the car, he helped me get to the Olympic trials. Thats something I never forgot. Every summer when I go home, my second stop is to go see Jim in his estate jewlery shop in Watch Hill, RI. Its a cute little town thats been the same for as long as I can remember. This year he told me to go win the Nationals, I sure was happy my mom was able to give him the good news.

I did learn how to play Dave Towle bingo, what else is there to do for 7 days in Somerset???

2008 is going to be more about family, having them out here, Tracey and I are already talking about a week back east for a New England tour. I'm really looking forward to racing with my team here in the good old NCNCA, and since they haven't really figured out the details for the Road Nationals, my eyes are focused on doing more track racin.

Best of luck in 2008.

Happy Birthday Dad!

Love Michael

14 comments:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

happy new year! every new year gives us 365 more chances to get it right. yippee! send my best to tracey.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

ooh! 366 chances in 2008, right?

veloandvino said...

LL-Happy NY and best to you in 2008 too. does that mean there will be a TT and a crit in Menlo park this year?????:)

Team TWENTY12 said...

Yeah more track! you guys are so bollocks - lets hang out more this year! hope to see you sat at WA.
Happy new year!

Wonder said...

I love Dave Towle, he's hilarious! His bingo games are a riot too. Mike, you are easily the busiest bee on the planet. Good match for Tracey...but we already knew that. Happy Birthday to your dad. See you on my birthday, at the EB's! Smile.

Il Bruce said...

That is one cute, and happy, niece.

Happy New Year and hope to see ya in RI net summer.

Bruce

veloandvino said...

bruce, whats with the makers mark? i thought you were a beer guy?
happy new year and see you sometime soon.

hopefully i'll have a bike for a reunion ride.

WarrenG said...

Ninigrit, RI Criterium, on the old runways? I must have done at least 50 races there, like everybody else who lives around there.

Il Bruce said...

The bourbon thing is something new. Just graduated up from Wild Turkey.

Anonymous said...

THANKS.I KNOW YOU WILL HAVE A HOOTING NEW YEAR.SO WILL TRACEY. N.E. STILLS HOLDS FOND MEMORIES OF A GREAT GUY WHO ALWAYS GIVES 110%.LOVE DAD.

Secundus said...

Agreed -- a happier, healthier and more peaceful year for everyone in 2008!

And let's remember, even though it's not Xmas, that the spirit of giving, not getting, is what makes the world better.

veloandvino said...

Birthday? will there be carrot cake? its healthy right?

WG-I've done 51 at ninigrit, same runway, same crosswind.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

the 4TTT won't be in Menlo Park. still need to find a location although I've got a good one in mind and it's near a bunch of wineries so maybe I'll employ your connections? then 2 crits -- MP and Foster City. busy, busy.

veloandvino said...

go velogirl go..