Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Fall on Hwy 1



After a two week blitz of selling mucho vino, I decided to take a mental health break and ride until I didn't want to ride anymore.
This weekend was one of riding, just riding, taking pictures and having no bad ideas, stress or worries. Just ride, around each corner there was another reason to take a picture, stop, or eat a cookie.
I did a ride with a really nice group of folks, some familiar, some new to me. We rode from Carmel to King city and back again along the coast on the way down for 85 miles then 20 inland. Topped off for 110 miles for the Saturday and 75 on Sunday..bliss. The ocean was a turquoise blue, seals were swimming and sea lions barking.
Man I thought about east vs. west. I used to really like this time of year back east with the leaves and all, but there is no way to compare this to New England.


8 comments:

WarrenG said...

It's not quite New England (I lived in CT for 12 years) but the south and east sides of Lake Tahoe are real nice this time of year. And just south on 89 around Carson Pass and Markleeville is nice too.

For MTB the "Flume Trail" is at its peak now.

veloandvino said...

how about from here to Solvang???

veloandvino said...

where in CT?

WarrenG said...

I lived in Mansfield and met my (then, future)wife (who is from South Windsor) when we were at UCONN, in the Bicycling Club. That was 22 years ago this week. It must have been the Fall leaves.

veloandvino said...

I lived in Manchester. Mansfield...thats where all the crazies lived. I knew I liked you for a reason. Dave Giesert....no way. I raced for Expo wheelman back in the 80zzzz

WarrenG said...

Ya know, your name always sounded a little familiar to me! My brother Dave and I did many, many sprints together. He was much better at criteriums than I ever was-he won some big races.

Expo Wheelmen, I think was the Czarnecki brothers? Those two (younger ones, not Gary)and Dave and I went to the innaugural eastern collegiate track championships as "CT Colleges". We did a bunch of races and a team pursuit and barely lost the championship to Penn State.

I'll tell Dave about you. He and his family built a house last year in Columbia.

Shoot, it took you about as many years as me to finally win a jersey!

veloandvino said...

yup i knew then, brian danahy ring a bell? michael rounds? we need to have a beer or three and play the name that cyclist game.

WarrenG said...

I don't remember Brian, but Mikey, definitely. I chatted with him a few years ago at some race I did back there. He went from eternal junior to all responsible adult-like most of us, finally.

We used to talk about Campy and Merckx. Now it's carbon fiber, All-Clad, Wolf, and Alton Brown!